While most metals look rigid and robust, they are versatile and flexible. Metals are ductile and malleable and can be cut and formed into the required shape. These are some reasons why metal bellows have gained immense traction over the years. These bellows are made from metals and alloys, including stainless steel, Inconel, or titanium, which can withstand high pressures, extreme temperatures, corrosive environments, and more. Today, these bellows have become essential components in engineering applications, ensuring the safety and efficiency of equipment, advanced integrated systems, and their operations. Are you intrigued to know the engineering applications of metal bellows? If that sounds yes, read this post till the end.
What Are the Engineering Applications of Metal Bellows?
Metal bellows are used in a variety of engineering applications owing to their unique properties and capabilities. The following list describes the important ones. So, let’s take a look at them.
- Valve and actuator control: Providing precise and repeatable movements while ensuring non-stop performance is an important requirement for valve and actuator control systems. These movements lead to the expansion and contraction of the moving parts. Metal bellows act as a seal or flexible joints based on the specific application. Their spring action keeps the parts in place. Using metal guide ways facilitates motion in a machine.
- Pressure and temperature measurement: Metal bellows are a critical component of pressure and temperature measurement applications. This is due to their ability to expand or contract based on pressure changes. The bellows act as a sensitive element that reacts to changes in pressure or temperature, and these movements can be converted into a specific value that indicates pressure change.
- Mechanical seals: They are commonly used in mechanical seals to prevent leaks and maintain vacuum or pressure. They are often used in pumps, compressors, and other mechanical systems where a seal is necessary.
- Medical equipment: Metal bellows are used in medical equipment such as ventilators and respirators where they can provide precise control over gas flow and pressure.
- Aerospace and aviation: Metal bellows are widely used in aerospace and aviation applications owing to their ability to withstand extreme temperatures, pressure differentials, and vibrations. They are commonly used in aircraft engines, fuel systems, and other critical components.
- Semiconductor manufacturing: They have become a critical component of many manufacturing equipment, such as vacuum chambers and deposition systems to maintain a clean and controlled environment.
- Nuclear energy: Metal bellows are used in nuclear energy applications because they can withstand high temperatures, radiation, and pressure. They are used in reactor systems, fuel assemblies, and other critical components.
Considering the high demand for metal bellows across industries, it is essential for businesses to source them from prominent, experienced, and trusted bellows manufacturers. Nabell USA Corp is a well-known player specializing in the manufacturing of metal bellows, which can be used across industries. With vast years of market presence and skilled employees, the company has the privilege of catering to diverse industrial requirements. Aside from metal bellows, the company offers different bellows, such as industrial bellows, waterjet cutting bellows, flat bellows, enclosed bellows, medical bellows, and much more. For more information, get in touch with their team of experts.