Bellows are protective machine or equipment covers, which help prevent damage and contamination. Sewn bellows come in many shapes such as oval, round, rectangular, and so on. Sewn round bellows are especially useful in applications where rotational resistance is required. They are made from sturdy elastomer-coated fabrics, and stitched using a nylon or special synthetically manufactured thread. Depending upon the application, a liquid coating may be applied to the seams of these bellows, thereby helping reduce moisture and related leakage. Overall, most industrial applications require sewn bellows. This post focuses on the details of sewn round bellows, their features such as materials used, and benefits.
Features of Sewn Round Bellows
Sewn round bellows are usually made of neoprene, nitrile rubber, silicone, polyurethane, or PVC. Some applications require the material coating of polyester, fiberglass or even aluminum. Most of these materials are resistant to fluctuations in temperature and chemicals. Here are some significant features of sewn round bellows:
- They vary in size, and it may range from 20mm to 1 meter or more.
- The extended length of these bellows depend on the diameter, but can range from a few millimeters to multiple meters.
- They can be mounted on machines, and have either a collar or a flange to help with the mounting process. The round collar somewhat resembles a top-hat and can be secured with a hose clamp.
- Depending on the design and requirement, they can have other functional hardware such as zippers, wire supports, PVC stiffeners, clamps, rings, cuffs, and more.
- Apart from sewing techniques, thermal and RF welding may also be used to make good-quality round bellows.
Benefits of Sewn Round Bellows
Sewn round bellows are especially useful for protecting ball screws, shafts, or cylindrical rods. Here are a few benefits of these bellows:
- They are typically used to cover jack screws, ball screws, robot arms, cylinder rods, lift tables, lead screws and more.
- They are also used to protect extremely critical and sensitive devices and machines such as X-ray machines and surgical tables.
- General materials resist temperatures up to 300° C (572° F). Other conditions require temperature resistance up to 600° C (1112° F).
- Most bellows have a good resistance to oils, chemicals, abrasion, corrosion, oxidation, acids, and bases. Your specific requirements will confirm a good material choice.
- If they have a double coating of aluminum or silicon, this resistance further improves and offers additional surface protection.
- They are durable and cost-effective, and help increase the operational life of the machine which it covers by inhibiting dust and moisture from entering inside.
- They can be customized to suit even automation devices in various industries.
- They can be sewn exactly to the size of the machine, totally based on the customer requirement.
When going for any type of sewn bellows, checking their quality is always recommended. Along with the features of the bellows, check for the ISO certifications the manufacturer has. Most manufacturers who are particular about quality go for ISO 9001:2015 for their quality management system. Aside this, communicating with the manufacturer and supplier and conveying your requirements clearly is also essential for you to get the right type of bellows based on the application.
If you looking to buy round sewn bellows or U-shaped sewn bellow covers for your application, ensure you source them from reputed manufacturers and suppliers. Nabell USA Corp is a well-known way covers and bellows manufacturer committed to quality. They offer a variety of bellows including round and other sewn shapes. They have an excellent team of design engineers with a vast knowledge and industry experience in manufacturing cost effective, robust and durable bellows.